gpm? how do I get this running?

I seem to be so full of questions the last couple of days but here is
another.  I am trying to get gpm running.  I just found out what it was
today and it is something I would really like to use.  From what I
understand it will allow me a mouse pointer for the underlying purpose
of copy/paste, and that I would like to have, badly.  Now it does appear
the gpm is installed and should be running, I apt-get'd gpm, but I am
getting no sign of this pointer that I should have.  Has anyone set this
up and know what I need to do to get it running under debian?

Thanks as always
Jason Self