Re: Why are so many people using font servers?

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 02:40:27PM -0400, Rob French wrote:
> Hm. What about programs that are compiled against an older version of
> xlibs? Might they still require access to the font server to get TT
> fonts?

That's a very good question, which I don't know the answer to.  However,
what percentage of `normal' Debian users are running old
statically-linked X applications?  Not many, I bet.

> I use X4.2 and originally I didn't use the font server. However, for
> some reason I started using it recently despite the fact that I
> "shouldn't need to." I think I was using Bibletime and for some reason
> I was getting the Greek fonts that I'd installed.

Hmm, ok.  Did you add the necessary FontPath line to your XF86Config-4?
I'd guess it'd at least be a `wishlist' bug if a package setup the font
server but not X itself to see the new fonts.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?