Re: debian install

ivan valdes wrote:

guys i hate to say it but the deb install of the latest distro is beating me up badly, but i refuse to quit. i need help, i go through the install and have had problems getting the gui to work. at least this last time the screen popped up and subsequently crashed. most of the problems seem to stem from the mouse. originally i used a usb logitech optical and couldn't even get to first base with the gui so i changed to a ps/2, similar to an intellimouse , and at least the gui popped up though briefly, most of the error messages were from the mouse end. can somebody please showme how a usb mouse(going back with it) is configured? i posted this query already and had a quick response from the audience which helped but i'm still stuck.

First, decide if you want a mouse in the text console or not. If not, make sure gpm is uninstalled (or at least disabled). Otherwise, get the mouse working in gpm first, then worry about X, making sure to set gpm to repeat "raw" (and later pointing X to "/dev/gpmdata" when you get it working in X). I personally prefer to have gpm working.

Assuming you're not using gpm:

your usb mouse should be on /dev/input/mice, and the protocol should (probably) be "imps/2", in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

i use a 7cd set to install and run all 7 in the scan, do they have to be reinserted again for the unpacking and set up phase? this time it asked for 2 of them, don't know if i should have run them again though the program didn't ask for any others. thanks for your responses.

I always do the network install, so am unfamiliar with using CDs. However, the .debs might have been copied from the CDs to the /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory (and have not since been deleted/moved), which means you won't have to use the CDs again to get those packages.

--
Kent