Re: howto select outgoing mail server ???

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 04:59:44PM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> Apparently, I cannot switch outgoing smtp servers from within mutt.

That is correct.  mutt knows nothing about SMTP and just passes
messages off to /usr/bin/sendmail (which is generally a symlink to
exim, qmail, or whatever other MTA is in use on non-sendmail boxes).

> So, I want to figure out how to automate switching outgoing mail servers
> within either exim or qmail?

To pass all outgoing mail through a specific server with exim, you
set it up to use that server as a "smarthost".  I don't know of an
easy way that you could swap it in and out without having to modify
exim.conf every time, though.

> I do not fully understand how exim knows to use my qmail server, other
> than the mx record on the internal private dns?

MX records aren't involved in this, since they apply to the mail's
destination, not its origin.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that