howto select outgoing mail server ???

I have been using the following setup for many months and functioning as
expected:

	cablemodem on attbi.com
	qmail on internal private network
	exim on local box
	mutt on local box

So, when I send a normal email, such as this one, I compose in mutt,
send it through exim on this local box, which uses qmail on another box
to send to the intended recipient.  This is my preferred email process,
since my qmail is considerably more reliable than mail.attbi.com.

My problem arises when I want to email recipients on networks (e.g.,
rr.com, tera-byte.com, &c.) that do not accept my email unless sent
through my isp's mail server.

Apparently, I cannot switch outgoing smtp servers from within mutt.

So, I want to figure out how to automate switching outgoing mail servers
within either exim or qmail?

I do not fully understand how exim knows to use my qmail server, other
than the mx record on the internal private dns?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds