apt-get xfree86-xserver versions 'stable'

I have found something interesting about some of the X server packages in
'stable'.
I am sure someone will know more about it than me.
(please, bear with me, i'm doing this from memory, i don't have my laptop
with
me at the moment and no, i don't think this is laptop
specific, that is why i'm posting here, there are many more deb users
in this list than laptop :-)

I recently installed some Xservers:
x-windows-base
xfree86-xserver
xserver-vga16
xserver-svga
along with whatever dependancies were required first

The only one that will run is the xserver-svga.

Xfree86 keeps dying, (fatal errors) after checking the
xfree86 error log it appears
that the necessary 'GLX' mod is the wrong version.

When i 'apt-get install xfree86-xserver' i (seem) to get
version 4.2.1 (it's deffinetly 4.something).
But it seems the GLX module is for the xfree86 3.X.X.
'apt-get install utah-glx' package. I can't seem to find the
one for xfree86 4.X.X

>From what i can figure out that is the problem, i, of course may
be wrong. I am wondering what xserver people are running and what their
experiances may be. It's odd because i have installed debian several times
and have never had an issue setting up a xserver.

Display: Chips and Tech. 65555 PCI (Toshiba)

I run 'stable' 2.4.18

I heard that you used to have to get the xfree86 packages from a different
location in debian (~branden, i think,...) but i thought that was
a while ago and no longer relevent.

thanks

-mus

http://mail2web.com/ .