Problems installing Kernel 2.4.20

HI,

I'm trying to install the Kernel 2.4.20, I have sarge with Kernel 2.2.20 and after download and install the packages kernel-image for Pentium IV and the required packages.
My system is not booting, I´ve a kernel panic with this message:

VFS: cannot open root device "341" or 03:41
please append a correct "root=" boot option
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41

I had the same problem with woody, then I upgrade my system to sarge, but nothing changed.

I hope, someone can help me.

Thanks in Advance,

Ernesto