Re: xf86config

    >>ivan valdes wrote:

    >>>i have installed woody, i think, however i cannot get a gui for
    either kde or gnome. i go through the config but when i try to
    startx it fails. i have good info on the monitor and >>>video
    card, though my card is not in the data base, sis630. i understand
    that the server i  should use is the  xxfb, does the server
install with the packages i installed? i

    >><snip>

    >>If you can get to a console, try running the following command,
   it has been helpful to me in a lot of cases.
    >>    #xf86cfg
    >>To have this command available, you need the package called
   "xbase-clients".

    >>If it works correctly (hopefully!) you will see a display come up
   with a weird thatched background in black-and-white which gives
   headache if you look at it continously : ) Then use the >>numpad
   keys to "Quit" (Lower right of windows which opens up) and it will
   ask you to save the file. Save it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 . Mail
   the list back if you get this far and we'll >>see what we can do
   about the mouse, scroll button etc. (Assuming that I was able to
   help you at all!

>thank you for your prompt response to my query. funny you should mention the mouse. i was using a logitech optical mouse, usb connected, the time i tried startx most of the error messages had to do with the mouse. i think next time i'll use a ps2 intellimouse, plenty of choices there on the xfconfig and see what happens, the selection for usb mice is not great in the config.

I have configured my dell (logitech-made though) optical mouse in the following way.. 1. Get the following modules into the kernel. An easy way I know of doing this is (not neccessarily the best or right way),
      #modconf
This should bring up a nice dialog (blue background!) with a list of modules that can be used with the kernel that you are running. Find and install the modules called 'usbmouse' and 'mousedev' . 2. Then after the modules are installed, edit your etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and find the mouse section. 3. Go in and change the protocol to "ImPS/2" and then change the device to "/dev/input/mice".
4. Now when you start X, the mouse should be working.

>i am using a 7 cd install media, not a boxed set. perhaps you can clear up a doubt i have about the install. according to inst. instructions at the deb site cds 2,3,4,&5 are different flavors of the kernel. if ichoose, lets say the idepci flavor(default on cd1 and cd4), the ide install, do i use cds 1,4,6,&7 for the scanning section or do i run all 7 cds in order? >also, my cds are labeled 1-7, which is the cd that should be labeled "woody". this is really not a problem because the install will keep asking for it until the correct cd in the set is inseted in the cdrom, this is just a question that i'd like the answer to, if possible. >look forward to your comments, will not take action until i hear from you and thanks again for your time.

I am not that knowledgeable about the 7 CD set of debian. What I usually do is use the 1st cd (i guess CD1) and then get the rest from the net. I always use the bf2.4 kernel but that may not be the best thing to do in your case. I hope you've got it to work by now.

Also could you reply to the mailing list also, it makes things easier for other people who might be having the same problem as you are.

Hope it starts working soon,
HaND,
Harshwardhan