Ugly fonts in Mozilla

OK, I don't know exactly what is going on here....

I had Mozilla running for a very long time with some pretty decent fonts and font sizes.

I log in today after a shutdown (happens periodically) and now I have only these really ugly fonts available under Mozilla. And under a number of other applications as well: X-chat, gaim. Slightly buggered under BlueFish

OpenOffice and Emacs and all terminal windows are unaffected.

I've not clue where to even begin looking for these font problems.
But I'm not clueless, per se.

Maybe someone can see a problem with the font packages?

bash-2.05b$ dpkg -l *font* | grep ii
ii  cmatrix-xfont  1.1b-5         X11 font for Console Matrix
ii  fontconfig     2.2.0-1        generic font configuration library
ii  fonty          1.0-12         Fonts on Linux console.
ii  freefont       0.10-11        Freeware font selection for X11
ii  gsfonts        6.0-2.1        Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  gsfonts-other  6.0-3          Additional fonts for the ghostscript interpr
ii  gsfonts-x11    0.17           Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11
ii  gtkfontsel     1.1-6          A gtk+ based font selection utility
ii  libfontconfig1 2.2.0-1        generic font configuration library (shared l
ii  ltsp-x-fonts-i 3.0.0-0        X fonts for the Linux Terminal Server Projec
ii  msttcorefonts  1.1.2          Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
ii  psfontmgr      0.11.1         PostScript font manager -- part of Defoma, D
ii  unifont        1.0-1          X11 dual-width GNU unicode font
ii  x-ttcidfont-co 13             Configure TrueType and CID fonts for X.
ii  xfonts-100dpi  4.2.1-6        100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-100dpi- 4.2.1-6        100 dpi fonts for X (transcoded from ISO 106
ii  xfonts-75dpi   4.2.1-6        75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi-t 4.2.1-6        75 dpi fonts for X (transcoded from ISO 1064
ii  xfonts-abi     1.0.2+cvs.2002 Some fonts shipped with AbiWord
ii  xfonts-base    4.2.1-6        standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base-tr 4.2.1-6        standard fonts for X (transcoded from ISO 10
ii  xfonts-scalabl 4.2.1-6        scalable fonts for X
ii  xfonts-scalabl 4.2.0-2        non-free Type1 and TrueType fonts from XFree

--
Nothing matters very much, and few things matter at all.
		-- Arthur Balfour