sqsh & MS SQL Server - authentication?

I've recently discovered sqsh, a SQL shell designed to access Sybase and
MS SQL Server.  It seems weakly supported and the docs are poor, but it
might be a good tool if it works....

I'm currently having problems simply authenticating to my server.

I've identified it by IP address using nmblookup:

    $ nmblookup my-sqlserver
    querying my-sqlserver on 192.168.1.255
    192.168.1.20 my-sqlserver<00>

    $ sqsh -S 192.168.1.20 -U MY_USER
    sqsh-2.1 Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Scott C. Gray
    This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    For more information type '\warranty'
    Password:
    Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1

    Login failed for user 'MY_USER

Access under same NT userid works from Win2K.

System logs on the MS SQL Server box don't appear to show any
access/authentication failures.  This leads me to suspect I don't have
the right box, or am not getting through to it.

I don't know or understand the authentication process particularly well,
could anyone provide suggestions on debugging or properly authenticating
to the database server?

Thanks.

    "What are you supposed to do if you are a manically depressed
    robot? No, don't bother to answer that, I'm fifty thousand times
    more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer. It
    gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level."
    -- HHGTG