How can I recover from a broken package?

I'm getting pretty desperate here. Yesterday on a new laptop, I tried to
install the laptop-net package. It appears that tis package has a broken
script of some kind. As a result I am unable to do _anything_ that involves
package managment.

At this point in  time, all I wnat to do is remove all traces of this
package. I've tried lot's of things including:

apt-get --purge remove  --force-yes laptop-net

without success.

Please help. What can I do to jsut remove all traces of this package?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin