Re: CPU recommendations *avoid Intel-Shite*

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 03:39:31AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 04:11:48PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
> > My experience with N's drivers has been truly excellent, and being a
> > gamer I'm probably pickier than most.  And BTW, I think they've shown
> > terrific improvement over time (I started using them when a tnt2 was
> > good, and just yesterday plopped in a ge4.)
>
> I started a TNT2 when it was still considered a pretty good card.  I
> thought about the nForce.  But then I looked at how much farther along
> the ATI Radeons were in terms of software support and stability, when
> at the time I got my TNT2, the two manufacturers cards both ran
> equally craptastically in Linux.  ATI got the job done by doing what
> nVidia needs to have done all along:  release the specs so the
> community can attack it on thier own.  Yes, I appreciate nVidia's
> effort, but they're crippling it with weird licensing and no specs.

What is it with these dumb hardware manufacturers who won't release
the specs, anyway? It makes no sense:

- They make their money by selling chips, not drivers - the drivers
  are free as in beer, if not as in speech
- The information needed to program the chips is not sufficient to
  give any kind of clue as to what's actually on the silicon, so it
  does not enable unscrupulous manufacturers to make a clone of the chip
- They lose sales to the increasingly large Linux-users market.

In case any of them happen to be reading this: GET A CLUE, GUYS,
YOU'RE LOSING SALES!

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons