Re: CPU recommendations *avoid Intel-Shite*

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 02:47, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Please turn off the HTML and learn to quote.
> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
>
> On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 06:44:38PM +1200, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:
> > You have never read any nForce2 reviews?<br>
>
> No, because I got pissed off with nVidia's flippant, uncooperative
> attitude to the community.  Yeah, some of thier video cards are really
> nice and desirable, but they're totally crippled by shitty drivers.
> I'm starting to discourage people from buying nVidia cards as well,
> especially considering ATI's cards lately have been pretty awesome and
> ATI doesn't dick the community.

Oh, please...

The Radeon 9600 Pro doesn't have accelerated 3D performance under
Linux.  Doesn't

*ALL* of NVIDIA's cards from the Riva TNT2 up to the Quadro FX
are supported under Linux just as well as under Windows, because
of the uniform driver.  What other (non-mobo) h/w company can say
that it supports Linux just as well as Windows?

Yes, it's a binary driver, and I'm not happy about that, but I
can live with it...

(Now, I can't say the same for the nForce chipsets.  I can live
with a binary video driver, since there's also an OSS driver,
but I can't live with a binary chipset/network driver.  It's
too fundamental to the operation of the system...)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |