Re: Accessing vfat fs as normal user

On Sunday 04 May 2003 12:10 pm, ajlewis2@intac.com wrote:
> In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> > Hi Craig,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply.  I've tried various settings in fstab to
> > change permissions, so far no luck.
> > This is my latest entry for /dev/sdb (firewire drive):
> >
> > /dev/sdb    /firewire  vfat     suid,uid=1000,gid=0, rw,noauto,      0
> > 0
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > Don Nash

> I'm using sort of the opposite with uid=0 and a gid that my users are
> members of.  I would get rid of the space in the options and the comma at
> the end.
>
> /dev/hda1    /winc   vfat   rw,uid=0,gid=20,umask=002 0 0
>
> The puzzle is that it sounds like this was working prior to the upgrade of
> the system to unstable.  Is that correct?  I'm using Woody and have this
> mounting when the system boots.
>
> Here's what I have for my zip drive which is also vfat.  This is to mount
> it as needed and it is working for my users.
>
> /dev/sda4	/mnt/zip	vfat	 user,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0  0
>

> Anita

Don,
I'm not quite sure if you understood what I ment when I said mutiple users,
but what Anita has above is what I ment.  There is a group on her computer
with an id of 20, to this she has added her users.
I would try that.  Setting the guid option might be confusing things but I
don't think so.

Craig