Installing perl modules (was: File::ReadBackwards)

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 02:13:00PM +0200, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> >At 22:42 Uhr -0400 02.05.2003, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> >>I am a perl newbie, and I have apt-cache searched but not found
> >>anything. Any idea how I can install File::ReadBackwards?
> >
> >Install it from CPAN:
> >perl -MCPAN -e shell
> >(It will ask you for configuration details the first time it's run, then: )
> > install File::ReadBackwards
>
> BTW don't follow it's advice to upgrade CPAN.pm or it will try to
> upgrade your whole perl installation.

This is something I've been wondering about for awhile:

Is there a Debian Way or some otherwise best practices to deal with
mixing and matching of dpkg installed modules vs. hand-installed
modules, (i.e. CPAN.pm or 'perl Makefile.pl') ?

It seems like things could get kind of messy.

-troy