Re: Installing perl modules (was: File::ReadBackwards)

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 05:40:30PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:

> > >Install it from CPAN:
> > >perl -MCPAN -e shell
> > >(It will ask you for configuration details the first time it's run, then: )
> > > install File::ReadBackwards
> >
> > BTW don't follow it's advice to upgrade CPAN.pm or it will try to
> > upgrade your whole perl installation.
>
> This is something I've been wondering about for awhile:
>
> Is there a Debian Way or some otherwise best practices to deal with
> mixing and matching of dpkg installed modules vs. hand-installed
> modules, (i.e. CPAN.pm or 'perl Makefile.pl') ?
>
> It seems like things could get kind of messy.

Teaching a man to fish ...

 nnorman@anar:~$ apt-cache search cpan
 bioperl - [Biology] Perl tools for computational molecular biology
 cpanel - Debian Chinese Panel
 debaux - Debian Auxiliary Programs
 dh-make-perl - Create debian packages from perl modules
 dist - Tools for developing, maintaining and distributing software.
 freetds-dev - MS SQL and Sybase client library (static libs and headers)
 libcrypt-ciphersaber-perl - Perl module implementing CipherSaber encryption
 libcurses-perl - Curses interface for Perl
 libio-stringy-perl - Perl5 modules for IO from scalars and arrays
 libplot-perl - perl interface to plot library
 libsys-cpuload-perl - module which retrieves load average of a machine
 libtangram-perl - Orthogonal Object Persistence in Relational Databases
 libtest-simple-perl - Perl modules for writing tests
 libtimedate-perl - Time and date functions for perl.
 libxmms-perl - Interactive remote control for XMMS (X MultiMedia System) in perl
 webmin-cpan - CPAN module for webmin
 secpanel - A Tcl/Tk GUI for SSH and SCP.

 nnorman@anar:~$ apt-cache show dh-make-perl
 Package: dh-make-perl
 Section: devel
 Installed-Size: 92
 Maintainer: Paolo Molaro <lupus@debian.org>
 Architecture: all
 Version: 0.9
 Depends: debhelper (>= 3.0.0), libpod-parser-perl, perl, make, dpkg-dev, fakeroot
 Filename: pool/main/d/dh-make-perl/dh-make-perl_0.9_all.deb
 Size: 13150
 MD5sum: a45fc4ee33708e9120b54e64671d3134
  dh-make-perl will create the files required to build
  a debian source package out of a perl package.
  This works for most simple packages and is also useful
  for getting started with packaging perl modules.
  Given a perl package name, it can also automatically download it from CPAN.

  For the next hour, WE will control all that you see and hear.