Re: Help with netsol ripoff?

hi ya michael

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> Can someone give me some advice on how to renew an expired domain name at
> Network Solutions?
>
> I'm trying to help a friend renew a domain name.  The domain has been expired
> for a little over a month.  My friend is still listed in the whois record as
> being the owner of the domain, but the status is listed as "REDEMPTIONPERIOD".
> She wasn't able to renew it right away when the domain expired.
>
> When she tries to renew the domain, netsol says that it's unavailable, and
> offers to place it on backorder.  Clicking the backorder link sends her to some
> service called "snapnames" that offers to watch for when domain becomes
> available.  The service costs $69, and it's not clear that doing so will
> actually register the name, so match as inform her as to when the name becomes
> available.

more and more registrars are finding creative ways to rip off consumers
of their domain names

-- find registrars that are consumeer friendly .. ones that will let
   *you* be the owner of the domain ..
	netsol and others claim they have the right to revoke yoru domain
	name for multiple different reasons

-- the snapnames and backorder mechanism is a fraudulent wayt for them to
   collect $165 or whatever it is that you have to bid to get bak your
   own domain ... if you paid the $69 fee, that too is a fee, but no
   guarantee to get your names back

> Is there anything she can do?  Would it be advisable for her to use snapnames'
> service?  It looks like a scam to me.

for just one or two domains .. just pay it ??

and for future, we all should file suit for "domain name stealing"
and/or pay our invoices on time ??

> Both her and my newer domains are registered with http://www.inww.com/ after we
> realized what a bunch of scam artists network solutions are.  But we both have
> some domains we haven't been able to transfer away.

netsol and others wont let you trandsfer domains away if its about
to expire

whem a bunch of my 25 domains expired on the same day.. netsol kept *.com
and *.net ..but let the *.org go so i renewed those domains at a different
registrar
	- they too supposedly play this scam of paying extra to get your
	domain back after it expires

list of disount registrars i checked into  about  3 weeks ago
	http://linux-sec.net/DNS/#Registrars

> I've had domains expire at INWW, but they didn't give me any crap about renewing
> them.  Instead, when I renewed, they just set the new expiration date as one
> year past the old one.  I've had that happen in the past with network solutions.
>   I don't see why the previous owner of a domain can't renew it even if it has
> expired.

exactly... unless they are running a scam
	-- think netsol claims to be the "owner of the domain"
	but you are the "registered owner"  etc.etc... lots of
	legal mumble/jumble

even w/ all the scams ... netsol's web-based gui is good ... can do
everything i need to get done in a matter of couple minutes and
always have a live person i can get hold of in  minute or so

c ya
alvin