Re: rescue a partition...ok, im freakin out a little

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:36:59AM -0400, karrottop wrote:
> ok, parted was able to find my partiton but here is what it returned
> from the print command
>
> Disk geometry for /dev/hdd: 0.000-76319.085 megabytes
> Disk label type: msdos
> Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
> 1         16.882  31996.000  primary   hfs
>
> ...As a matter of fact, on this
> particular disk I have not even had an hfs partition, yet it does label
> it msdos.

"Disk label" in Linux fdisk does not mean the same as "volume label"
in MSDOS FDISK. It means what is more commonly known as the MBR, ie,
the first sector on the drive which contains the partition table and
the [first bit of the] bootloader. What this is telling you is that
the drive has an MSDOS-format MBR, which generally means that it was
initially partitioned under DOS/Windoze. (Which is true.)

> The size does appear to be correct, I formatted to maximum
> vfat size which is 32gig.  So, is it possible for me to change the
> Filesystem type, or whatever else I might need to change to get it to
> mount?  It more than likely was not a primary partition either

If this is true, try changing the type to 5 (extended) and see if you
can then see any logical partitions inside it. If not, try type C
(FAT32 LBA). I suggest cfdisk for this.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons