Re: bash sell quirk(s)

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:57:16PM +0000, Guldo K wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2003 20:40:15 +0200
> "Rodney D. Myers" <rdmyers@pe.net> wrote:
>
> > I like the RH way of bash shell behaviour., Utilizing the home & end
> > keys, to move around the bash prompt.
> I liked it too!, but now... (see below)
>
> > Is there someplace that I can read up on how to change this behaviour on
> > the shell?
> I don't know... for me it has always worked... I can't directly help you.

For me it Just Works in console (TERM=linux) and in an xterm
(TERM=xterm). However, while most of my system is standard Woody, the
X is 4.2.0 built from source. I have installed Woody on a couple of
systems recently and found it's OK in console but Doesn't Work in
an xterm. Unfortunately, I don't know why.

> Usually bash is set up to behave emacs-like (see man bash), so you can use
> CTRL+a in place of HOME
> CTRL+e in place of END
>
> If you use emacs, you'd find them comfortable;
> if you don't use emacs, you'd find them comfortable too :-)
> (HOME and END are so irritatingly *far* from the 'main' keyboard :-P)

Yeah, but HOME and END are single keystrokes :-)

> p.s.: BTW, you know about CTRL+r, do you? nice!

"Search history". Yes, it's cool!

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons