Re: next debian stable ?

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:02:46PM -0700, nate wrote:
> Kevin McKinley said:
> > They released with a beta kernel. Period.
>
> I wouldn't go so far as say period ..
>
> distros like mandrake, redhat, suse already apply sooooooooooo
> many patches to the stock kernel that releasing a  "pre-release"
> kernel may be the same as backporting those changes to a "stable"
> kernel.

Debian applies quite a few too. Here's README.Debian.1st.gz from the
current kernel-images in unstable. We also patch glibc, gcc ... I think
the realities of distribution maintenance are such that this sort of
thing always ends up being necessary, whether we like it or not.

kernel-source for DEBIAN
------------------------

AMD 768 erratum 10
------------------
If you have a motherboard with the AMD 768 chipset, and you are experiencing
IDE errors or lock ups, then you should either connect a PS/2 mouse to the
system or disable APIC.  Refer to the following link for details:

http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Sep/5966.html

mem= on 2.4.19 and later
------------------------
mem=xxxM can no longer be used to enlarge the RAM that the kernel uses.
You must specify the exact memory map.  For example, Compaq Proliant users
can specify mem=48M@16M if they 64M of memory.

These patches were applied:

* NFS client seekdir patch
  http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/
* SCSI Media Changer
  http://bytesex.org/patches/
* Big Physical Area Reservation
  http://www.polyware.nl/~middelin/hob-v4l.html#bigphysarea

These modifications were also made:

* Fixed a couple of argument processing bugs in main.c (Eric Delaunay).
* Added initrd support for cramfs in init/do_mounts.c.
* Exported proc_get_inode.
* Fixed pegasus_set_multicast lockup.
* Fixed dead lock on shutdown in 8139too.
* Don't kill page cache entries in set_blocksize.
* Added support for nm256xl+ (Mattia Monga).
* Fixed handling of HIDs with product strings bug no manufacturer.
* Fixed the use of return values from mem*_io in drivers/isdn/sc.
* Added missing headers in drivers/pcmcia/i82092.c.
* Added missing headers in drivers/isdn/hisax/avma1_cs.c.
* Fixed compile error in drivers/scsi/dpt_i2o.c on alpha.
* Removed -g from driviers/atm/Makefile.
* Extern inline -> static inline in drivers/net/hamradio/soundmodem.
* Added asm/io.h for in*/out* to drivers/net/wan/farsync.c.
* Corrected AdvWriteDWordLramNoSwap in drivers/scsi/advansys.c.
* Fix slashes in broken Acorn ISO9660 images in fs/isofs/dir.c (Darren Salt).
* Always call complete after unlinking an urb in drivers/usb/usb-ohci.c.
* Set hardsect size to 512 in drivers/scsi/sr.c.
* Set time fields to zero in fs/cramfs/inode.c.
* Allow ACPI to be compiled as a module.
* Fixed umsdos_solve_hlink oops in fs/umsdos/dir.c.
* Honour ide?=dma in drivers/ide/via82cxxx.c (Arne Nordmark).
* Removed period check for executables in fs/isofs/inode.c.
* Modularised VESA FB.
* Replaced BUG() with printk() in fs/fat/file.c.
* Fixed circular dependency in include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_conntrack.h.
* Do not get seqno if we will not use it in fs/isofs/inode.c.
* Added missing semicolons in drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aicasm/aicasm_gram.y
  (Michael Osamu Shiobara).
* Made CONFIG_PARIDE_EPATC8 into a runtime option.
* Fixed double PCI unregistration in drivers/char/joystick/pcigame.c.
* Include linux/init.h in drivers/char/amd76x_pm.c.
* Include linux/init.h in drivers/scsi/cpqfcTSinit.c.
* Removed CONFIG_INET_ECN check in net/ipv4/tcp_diag.c.
* Fixed stxncpy on alpha (2.4.21pre1).
* Fixed ext3 data=journal umount problem (2.4.21pre1).
* Added dependency on MTD_CONCAT for sc520cdp.
* Fixed ext3 remount deadlock added in 2.4.20-2 (Andrew Morton).
* Fixed ext3 use-after-free bug (Andrew Morton).
* Fixed i845G AGP Gart initialisation (Michael Milligan).
* Updated i810_audio driver (2.4.21pre1).
* Added missing printk newlines in net/sched/sch_htb.c
  (Alexandra N. Kossovsky).
* Fixed ethernet packet padding information leak (2.4ac):
  . 3c501
  . 3c505
  . 3c507
  . 3c523
  . 3c527
  . 7990
  . 8139too
  . 82596
  . 8390
  . a2065
  . am79c961a
  . ariadne
  . at1700
  . atarilance
  . atp
  . bagetlance
  . de600
  . de620
  . declance
  . depca
  . eepro
  . eexpress
  . epic100
  . eth16i
  . fmv18x
  . hp100
  . lance
  . lasi_82596
  . lp486e
  . ni5010
  . ni52
  . ni65
  . axnet_cs
  . fmvj18x_cs
  . ray_cs
  . xirc2ps_cs
  . xircom_tulip_cb
  . seeq8005
  . sgiseeq
  . sk_g16
  . smc9194
  . sun3_82586
  . sun3lance
  . via-rhine
  . wavelan
  . yellowfin
  . znet
* Fixed printk warnings in init/do_mounts.c.
* Fixed printk warnings in fs/fat/file.c.
* Fixed dupliate detection problem in drivers/net/tokenring/ibmtr.c.
* Close old_fd and root_fd in init/do_mounts.c (Brian May).
* Ignore errors from tw_setfeature in drivers/scsi/3w-xxxx.c.
* Changed all occurances of infobox+sleep to msgbox in scripts/Menuconfig.
* Use rq->special instead of rq->buffer in drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.c.
* Fixed precedence bug in drivers/sound/trident.c (John Levon).
* Fixed initialisation error handling in drivers/block/cciss.c.
* Fixed initialisation error handling in drivers/block/cpqarray.c.
* Fixed ptrace security hole.
* Work around broken Toshiba keyboards in drivers/char/keyboard.c (2.4.21pre).
* Fixed sock address length check in net/socket.c (2.4.21pre).

Changes to comments and documentation:

* Fixed a typo in Documentation/sound/VIBRA16 (Carlos Valdivia Yagüe).
* Fixed a typo in Documentation/sound/OPL3-SA (Carlos Valdivia Yagüe).
* Fixed a typo in Documentation/sound/Introduction (Daniel van Eeden).
* Fixed comment about epochs in arch/alpha/kernel/time.c.
* Commented out non-TeX heading in Documentation/smp.tex (Daniel van Eeden).

Non-free bits removed:

* Keyspan firmware.
* SMC Token Ring firmware, driver disabled.
* ACENIC firwmare, driver disabled.
* DGRS firmware, driver disabled.
* DAB firmware, driver disabled.

Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
$Id: README.Debian,v 1.69 2003/03/21 23:06:27 herbert Exp $