Re: mgetty replaces getty?

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:10:09 +0200, Carl Fink wrote:
> I'm puzzled.
>
> I want to replace the getty from util-linux with mgetty (or really vgetty)
> so I can use voice mail.  I installed mgetty-voice, but even when I kill all
> getty processes, /sbin/getty continues to be the daemon.
>
> I certainly don't want to uninstall util-linux.
>
> The Readme files for mgetty don't mention this, and frankly, shouldn't the
> mgetty install process ask me if I want to replace /sbin/getty with mgetty
> in any case, and then do it?
>
> What should I do?
> --
> Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
> Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
><http://dm.net>
>

> --

I'm sure you should be able to replace getty, but I don't think you
will succeed by simply killing all getty processes.  From my
/etc/inittab file:

# /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
#
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
#
# Format:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

Notice the respawn field - this means that each getty (1 for each
virtual terminal) will be respawned (restarted) when/if it is
killed.

What you'll probably need to do is replace all of these lines
with the preferred getty that you'd like to use.  You may need
to restart, but almost surely will need to change runlevels for
this change to take effect.  Some useful man pages for you
might be:

man inittab
man telinit

BTW, I would only change a couple of those lines to your new
getty until you're sure everything is working ok...  Also note
that a different getty may take different arguments than the
standard /sbin/getty - take a look at the man page for your
new getty.

HTH
-Drew