Re: Upgrading the Samba Debian package

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 07:56, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 06:50:25PM -0500, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> > Now, from the package search pages on www.debian.org, the current debian
> > Samba packages are:
> >
> > stable (woody)		samba_2.2.3a-12.3
> > testing (sarge)		samba_2.2.3a-6
> > unstable (sid)		samba_2.999+3.0.alpha23-4
> >
> > So, my questions are:
> >
> > 1.  Why does the stable package appear to be more recent than the
> > testing one?
>
> That is indeed odd.  Perhaps 2.2.3a-12.3 was a security update, which
> made it into 3.0r1, but still hasn't filtered into testing?

That makes sense . . .

> > 2.  I assume that Samba 2.2.4 through 2.2.7a made it into, and now out
> > of, unstable, on the way to 2.999+3.0.  Where are they?
>
> Gone.  Well, from Debian anyway.  You can find the on
> http://snapshot.debian.net/, though.

It looks like my assumption was wrong:

http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/pool/s/samba/binary-i386/Packages.gz

lists a number of 2.2.3a releases of samba and samba-common, but nothing
later excpet for a large number of 2.999+3.0alpha releases.

It would appear that the maintainters were all working on the 3.0
release, and not testing/packaging the incrementals after 2.2.3a.

Ouch.

> > 3.  I assume that the general concensus is that jumping to 2.999+3.0 on
> > a production server would be unwise?
>
> I'd say so, even though it seems like Samba 3.0 is coming up fairly
> soon.  There was a fairly serious bug a couple of weeks ago, but I don't
> remember the details.  If you want/need it, though, then you could
> certainly use it, or even a straight CVS pull, as long as you test it
> thoroughly.

Unfortunately, I don't have any clients with the time to test this for
me (I make a lousy test client - I never seem to do what real people
do).  They really like their debian/samba systems - they don't need to
pay me very often.

The opportunistic locking issue is a minor headache, but it keeps me
from crossing everything off the punch list.  But I don't want to
install something outside the debian package management system.  How
does one make a CVS pull and then compile into a debian package?  With
all the same file locations, etc. . . .

madmac