Upgrading the Samba Debian package

Team:

I have a production server running Sarge (please, save the flames).

It's running great, with a few minor exceptions.

One exception is some odd file-save and Quickbooks behavior that I
believe is attributable to issues with Opportunistic Locking that have
been fixed in Samba 2.2.7.

Now, from the package search pages on www.debian.org, the current debian
Samba packages are:

stable (woody)		samba_2.2.3a-12.3
testing (sarge)		samba_2.2.3a-6
unstable (sid)		samba_2.999+3.0.alpha23-4

So, my questions are:

1.  Why does the stable package appear to be more recent than the
testing one?

2.  I assume that Samba 2.2.4 through 2.2.7a made it into, and now out
of, unstable, on the way to 2.999+3.0.  Where are they?

3.  I assume that the general concensus is that jumping to 2.999+3.0 on
a production server would be unwise?

Your input and assistance are greatly appreciated in advance . . . ;-)

madmac