Re: Confused state of my system

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 11:26, Haines Brown wrote:
> > One of my systems is console-only and it's happily functional.
>
> Yes, I sometimes work by logging into the console, and it really works
> out fine.
>
> But I'd like to recall the question. I've heard that people have run X
> without any desktop manager (no gnome, KDE, ximian, etc.) and relied
> instead on a window manager and creating panels on which some useful
> applets are placed, such as a desktop switcher, window list, clock,
> etc.
>
> I'm migrating from RH8.0 to Debian stable, and so wonder about the
> potential for doing this under Debian. Is a desktop manager really
> necessary? Can one build a panel without it and run a window manager?
> If so, what are the preferred applications?

Desktop environments (what you call managers) are definitely *not*
needed.  X is almost 20 years old, but KDE & Gnome are only, what,
5 years old.

$ apt-cache search "window manager"|sort

The most popular ones are blackbox, enlightenment, luxbox, fvwm,
icewm, ion, sawfish, wmaker & xfce4.  (Other than Gnome, my
favorite is xfce4.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |