pppd and ttyS mode mystery

Hi Debianistas,

Pertaining to using ppp to dialup my ISP. I set this up 2 months ago
and after adding myself to the "dip" list (those who know US English
idiom from certain recent generations must love this) I could always
dial out as a normal (non-root) user, i.e. I was allowed to use the
modem.

Not anymore, not for a couple of weeks or so. I believe that probably I
got an update from security.debian.org and ran it mindlessly.

Now, when I try to dial out as myself, I always get the error
"/dev/modem: permission denied". So, OK, no-brainer, change the
permissions on (the serial port device that /dev/modem actually points
to), right? No. Because SOMETHING keeps changing it back on me
(gggrrrrrrr).

As soon as the link comes up, or as soon as ppp gets started, the
permissions on /dev/ttyS[my-number-here] get changed back:

   crw-r-----

Whereas I need them to be:   crw-rw----  (0660).

Anybody know who the culprit is, and why? OH, btw, wvdial is potentially
implicated in this to, because I use it to run ppp.

   TIA  (no, not your AUNT  ;-).
--
GnuPG public key fingerprint:  BD26 A5D8 D781 C96B 9936  310F 0573 A3D9 4E24 4EA6