Re: Updating Potato to Woody (almost there)

Larry said:

> X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.

check /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

if it doesn't exist, a quick solution:

echo "allowed_users=console" >/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

see the manpage for details

> 2) If I try to run startx as root, I get:
> Fatal Server Error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

apt-get install xfonts-base

I reccomend installing other font packages as well such as
the 75dpi and 100dpi ones among others, apt-cache search xfonts

> How did I get my X system screwed up.  Or, more
> importantly, how do I fix it?

X migrated to version 4 in woody, so the configuration is
different, though it is possible to run X 3.3.6 on woody
if required(one of my systems uses it).

nate