Re: Updating Potato to Woody (almost there)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 07:01:39AM -0700, Larry wrote:
> Thanks for all the help in getting the update from Potato to Woody
> working.
>
> Now the apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade routines have ran.
>
> What I'm left with is the following X-windows problems.
>
> 1) As a user, I can't get startx to bring up X because it says I'm not
> authorized.  I tried: auth add :0 . `mcookie`, which created a
> .Xauthority file, but I still get the message: X: user not authorized
> to run the X server, aborting.

dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-common
or edit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config so that it says

allowed_users=console

amongst other things.

> 2) If I try to run startx as root, I get: Fatal Server Error: could
> not open default font 'fixed'

Install x-window-system-core, it Depends on all the basic X stuff.
You'll want a window manager and such, too.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?