Re: next debian stable ?

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:53:50 -0500
David Krider <david@davidkrider.com> wrote:

> I'm in between. My problem -- I guess this is the consensus of the
> replies: that's it's just *my* problem -- is that I want to focus on one
> (1) distro, and so I want something that I don't have to upgrade every 6
> months, or even a year, but something that I can stay current with if I
> think it's worth it to actually do the upgrade.

I believe Debian is exactly the distro you say you want, but you're
frustrated because you haven't figured out The Debian Way. Believe me, I
know what that's like; I switched from various RPM-based distros to Debian
almost two years ago. (And I didn't yet know about this mailing list, or
#debian IRC.)

Install aptitude and use it to browse the "Not installed" -->
"Documentation" section. Get the Debian Reference, dwww, everything about
apt and dpkg, and the Debian New Maintainers Guide. These should answer a
lot of your questions and explain many of the things that make Debian
Debian.

Try Xandros for your desktop. "Debian with a pretty face", or "Debian with
training wheels". Up to date, but completely Debian-compatible, so you can
point apt at a Debian archive and download regular Debian packages.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Kevin