Re: mkisofs with filenames > 64 characters

Jason Unrein <diabelek@yahoo.com> writes:

> Anyone know if mkisofs can create an iso with
> filenames >
> 64 characters.
>
>   I know other programs can but I can't seem to find
> anything that will let mkisofs do it.  Optimally, I
> would
> like to be able to create a cd that supports filenames
>>
> 64 chars on linux and windows but I will be happy if i
>
> can get >64 char support in either OS (linux is
> obviously
> the prefered).

I think Joliet (windows format) only allows up to 64 chars (it uses
unicode...). Rockridge (linux format) should allow more. To use
rockridge you use the -r option. This option sucks however as it uses
the exact users and permission on your files. This is only suitable
for backups as some other computer will have different UID and
GIDs. So you really want to use the -R option for sensible Rockridge.

Hope that helps,
Bijan