Procmail and Courier IMAP

Yet another IMAP question...

I don't fully understand what folder options I have for delivering mail in
Maildir format, and how it relates to specific imap programs.

For one thing, I have a top level INBOX, and I'm not sure if that's required
or if I can have other top-level folders, or if they all have to be below
INBOX.

I don't normally deliver my mail to an "inbox", but rather I like to deliver
mail to individual mail boxes (folders).  One problem with a top-level INBOX
is that a number of email client then indent all the folders below INBOX
wasting valuable screen space. ;)

I'm using Exim, but I'm using procmail to write the mail to Maildir.
Courier is the imap server.  Exim is not setup for Maildir delivery.

In .procmailrc I'm using:

MAILDIR=${HOME}/Maildir/

Then to deliver to a folder I use this.  I'm not clear if I need to use the
dot as a prefix or not, and if so, why.

:0
* ^X-Mailing-List:.*debian-user
.debian-user/