Re: pilot-link in Sid and Sarge: Much bigger question

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:27:57PM -0500, David Krider wrote:

> I would love whatever pointers the lists may have to offer on this,
> but it raises a much larger question about versions and currency in
> general.  I see that pilot-link is the same version in Sid as it is in
> Woody, and that version is WELL OVER A YEAR OLD. That's two lifetimes
> in terms of Linux. Every other distro of significance is shipping an
> up-to-date version.

I for one don't care what "other" distros are shipping.  If it can't
pass the tests to move from unstable to testing and into stable, so what
if there's a new version.  Debian's stringent policy and procedure set
has made it's stable releases very reliable.  If you want newer versions
of the software, you can either move up to testing or unstable or work
with the maintainers and upstream authors to correct the bugs that are
stopping the newer versions from being accepted.

> It can't be *that* broken. To me, this doesn't bode well for the
> future of Debian, or at least its viability on the desktop. Perhaps
> the maintainers don't care about this. I'm new to Debian; I just don't
> know.

Sure it can.  I seem to recall RH shipping a beta version of a compiler
a short while back as their default.  That was most certainly broken.
And worst of all it was a purposeful decision, that they later tried to
justify.

Just because all the "other" distros are shipping version Y of something
doesn't make it solid or reliable.

> I just want to understand how and *why* people on these lists use
> Debian on their desktops when it seems to lag so far behind other
> distros.

Simple (in most cases) it meets our needs better than anything else
available.

> Maybe they don't. Maybe people here run something else on the desktop.

Nope, absolutely every system I have (>15) have Debian on them.  The
only exception to this are the two VMWare installations of Windows XP
that my wife and I have for work (there are a few proprietary apps we
have to use).

> Maybe Windows for all I know! But I desparately want to run the same
> thing on my desktop as on my servers, and Debian seems to be a great
> distro for a server. (Unless you want to run Apache 2, in which case
> it's back to the same issue.)

I'm running Apache2 on my subversion server with no problem.  Perhaps
you should take a look at apt's pinning feature.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string
together lots of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks.
-- Vineet Kumar