Re: X11 Server for ms windows

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:27:27PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> >on Wednesday 04/23/2003 Roberto Sanchez(sanchezr@hotmail.com) wrote
> > > I'm not sure I understand your second question.  Please clarify.
> > What I mean is does Windows see just a graphic or do the controls on
> > X turn into windows controls -- the second arrangement would be
> > better for me.
> >
> As far as I can tell, windows sees it as just a graphic.  The client area
> of your vnc viewer doesn't do anything other than bring you the graphical
> output from your xserver session and send any inputs from the kbd or mouse
> back to your host machine.  However, I am not an expert on VNC.

That's correct, VNC puts your entire desktop in a window. cygwin's
XFree86 used to have to do the same thing, but now it supports putting X
windows right next to Windows windows (that's called a "rootless" X
server). In the current version it works, but not all that well. I've
heard that XFree86 4.3 added some changes specifically to improve cygwin
support, but it's hard to say when 4.3 will officially be incorporated
in to cygwin.

One alternative is "weirdx", a Java X server. It can run rootless, but
it's just as bloated and slow as every other Java program is. If you
have a fast machine with lots of memory it might be a reasonable choice.

--
Michael Heironimus