Re: Pipe help

At 10:47 PM 4/22/2003 -0400, James D Strandboge wrote:
On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 21:37, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> * James D Strandboge (jstrand1@rochester.rr.com) [030422 20:50]:
> > On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 19:51, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > > I've finally decided to give Gnome the boot...
> > >

> Oh, come on !! I just tried "apt-get remove --purge gnome-bin" and it
> sure enough will remove lots of packages. Some are even like this:
> libgnome32*. But, it wants to add "extra" packages like
> bonobo-activation, esound-common, and 20+ more. It also wants to install
> gcc-3.3-base, gnome-control-center, and five or six more.

When you said give gnome the boot, I thought you meant all of gnome,
which removing libgnome will do.  'gnome-control-center' is a gnome2
app, and it sounds like you still have gnome1.4 on your system.  apt is
good for reconciling package dependencies and the like, but it seems
your system may be in an inconsistent state now.

I think you're right there. I've removed just about everything 'gnome' including many libs for gnome. There were remnants of gnome 1.4 on there as well because it seems that some gnome apps hadn't been updated to gnome2 yet.

Problem I'm seeing now is when I try and remove some seemingly unrelated package, apt-get or dpkg wants to remove apps like mutt ! I can't imagine why it wants to touch a package like that. I'm at work now and will have to wait 'til later to see what packages are doing this though.

Are you running woody, sarge or sid?  By the gcc-3.3 lines, it seems you
at least have the sid lines in sources.list.

I run sid.

> Trying just libgnome2-common is a bit better but it still wants to add
> some add'l packages.

Perhaps a better question is:  what do you mean exactly by 'give Gnome
the boot'?  All its apps?  Just the desktop?

I have decided to get rid of anything gnome/gtk related. That may be a problem for mozilla though, won't it ??

Hall