Re: Pipe help

Hall Stevenson said:
> I've finally decided to give Gnome the boot...
>
> I was hoping that something like "dpkg --purge gnome-session" would warn
> me that packages a, b, c, and so on would also be removed because of
> dependency issues. It didn't... So, I have to remove things "by hand",
> individually. But, something like "dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome"
> reports some handy info. I can do something with that, can't I ?? It's
> definitely a start too. After that, "deborphan" or similar can help me
> clean up after that.

not sure what your trying to do but I often run:

dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | awk '{print $1}' | xargs dpkg --purge

to purge packages that were removed but still have config files behind.

of course I reccomend running the command WITHOUT the pipe to xargs first
to be sure it spits out the right stuff.

nate