Re: X11 Server for ms windows

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:53:22PM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hugh Saunders wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:59:18AM +0100, Organ Grinder wrote:
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of a X11 Server for ms windows? I've seen some for
> >> windows but there all eval... I have to use w2k for my workstation
> >> otherwise it would be linux on my desktop and not a problem.
> > cygwin has an Xserver, but ive never got it to work... if you have
> > more success, tell me how!!
>
> Yeah, it works quite well on a fast PC, as long as you stick to very basic
> window managers and programs.  It's never going to be lightning quick, as
> the overhead of the cygwin.dll is not inconsiderable.
>
> Cygwin is a great tool - it really eases the pain of using Windows for those
> of us who are forced to.
so for the slightly thick and windows bound(sometimes) how dya get
cygwin running X? ive got a cygwin shell with vim and stuff but when I
execute startx, i get a full screen transparent window that lasts less
than a second :(

ibm@Anni ~
$ startx

giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

any ideas?

thanks

--
Hugh Saunders [GCv3.12] GCS d- s: a--- C+++ UL++>$ P+ L+++ E--- W-- N++
K- w-- M- V? PS-- Y PGP- t-- !5 X- R- tv-() b- DI+ D- G++ e- h++ r z?