Re: Pipe help

* James D Strandboge (jstrand1@rochester.rr.com) [030422 20:50]:
> On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 19:51, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > I've finally decided to give Gnome the boot...
> >
> > I was hoping that something like "dpkg --purge gnome-session" would warn
> > me that packages a, b, c, and so on would also be removed because of
> > dependency issues. It didn't... So, I have to remove things "by hand",
> > individually. But, something like "dpkg --get-selections | grep gnome"
> > reports some handy info. I can do something with that, can't I ?? It's
> > definitely a start too. After that, "deborphan" or similar can help me
> > clean up after that.
>
> Try:
>
> apt-get remove --purge libgnome
>
> or the like (double check the package name with 'dpkg -l | grep
> libgnome').  If you want to get really clean:
>
> apt-get remove --purge libglib1.2-dev
>
> That will rip out a lot of stuff.

Oh, come on !! I just tried "apt-get remove --purge gnome-bin" and it
sure enough will remove lots of packages. Some are even like this:
libgnome32*. But, it wants to add "extra" packages like
bonobo-activation, esound-common, and 20+ more. It also wants to install
gcc-3.3-base, gnome-control-center, and five or six more.

Trying just libgnome2-common is a bit better but it still wants to add
some add'l packages.

Heh, I'll be at this a while. :)

Hall