Re: Problem booting software RAID (woody)

hi ya fraser

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> I have a minimal woody system up and running and am now trying to convert it
> to software raid1.  Here is the current partitioning scheme:
>
>     /dev/md0 ext3     on /
>     /dev/md1 ext3     on /usr
>     /dev/md2 reiserfs on /tmp
>     /dev/md4 reiserfs on /home
>     /dev/md5 reiserfs on /var
>     /dev/md3 swap

what does your /etc/raidtab look like ?

what does your /etc/lilo.conf look like ?
   you should have:
	boot=/dev/md0
	root=/dev/md0

is your partition type "fd" from fdisk -l /dev/hda  and /dev/hdb ?
	-- important if you expect to boot after one of the disks
	is dead/failed/non-existent

- you really should move the 2nd disk to /dev/hdc otherwise
  it'd be pointless to have raid

- make sure your kernel supports raid, ext3, reiserfs w/o modules
  otherwise, you will need an initrd file that installs those modules

- you should not be defining "failed disks till it has in fact failed"
	- should stop the copying data to it

- various ( more detailed ) raid howto's
	( you should check the upgrading from non-raid to become raid
	( section
	http://www.1u-raid5.net/HowTo/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt

c ya
alvin