Re: Why can't `dpkg-reconfigure xsever-xfree86' give me a good conf file?

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 09:26:48AM -0500, David Krider wrote:
> I was content to run stable on my desktop, even just using KDE 2.2, but
> XFree86 4.1 doesn't know about GeForce4 cards. So I just went ahead and
> took my machine to unstable. However, `dpkg-reconfigure xsever-xfree86'
> can't give me a good conf file.

What does this mean?  A working one, you mean?

> Why is this? I have a dual-Athlon if it
> makes a difference. I was finally able to create a good file with X's
> xf86config, but it doesn't provide for automatic configuration of a lot
> of modules. (Maybe this is a good thing; maybe those modules are
> screwing me up.) I'd post my log file, but who wants to sort through
> that? The only indication that something's wrong is that it says X
> segfaulted at the end. There are ZERO "EE" lines in the file. How
> useless is that?
>
> I figure I'm not the only one with a GeForce4 on this list. Am I alone
> in not getting this to work with debconf under unstable? How have others
> gotten this configured?

Lots of people use geforce4s with Debian, including under woody (see my
other mail).

> While I'm at it, can anyone point me to a FM where I can read up on what
> it takes to use the nvidia kernel and glx packages that are in unstable?

Just install nvidia-glx-src and nvidia-kernel-src and read their
documentation.  The step-by-step instructions are extremely easy to
follow.

> I'm not using them. They're not even installed. Maybe that's my whole
> problem?

Almost certainly not.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?