Re: Why can't `dpkg-reconfigure xsever-xfree86' give me a good conf file?

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:43:26AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> David Krider wrote:
> > I was content to run stable on my desktop, even just using KDE 2.2, but
> > XFree86 4.1 doesn't know about GeForce4 cards. So I just went ahead and
> > took my machine to unstable. However, `dpkg-reconfigure xsever-xfree86'
> > can't give me a good conf file. Why is this?
>
> Probably because you don't have read-edid, mdetect, and discover
> installed. With those packages it can do hardware autodetection, without
> it cannot.

Do use the autodetect thingy, post-install:

# apt-get install discover mdetect read-edid
# dpkg -P --force-depends xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common
# apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common

The purge step may no longer be neccessary under > woody, I'm not sure.

Also, you CAN use your geforce under woody.  You have three choices:

1) Get X4.2 from http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/; te 'nv' driver
   should work fine.
2) Use the 'vesa' driver.  It's slow and nasty, but it should work.
3) Get nvidia's non-Free drivers, which sill support your geforce4 under
   X4.1.  Just install nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src and follow
   the instructions CAREFULLY.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?