mv on file deleted it?

I had a bunch of files that I had backed up from my old version of my website. I went to move them to my web dir, and I managed to delete them.

I was in my home dir, and the command was like this:
mv *105* /var/www/jschwarz

The files are not in my home dir nor in the web directory. Can anyone explain this behavior or suggest a method to recover them? I've downloaded tct and looked into that, but I need a partition with 210% of the free space that I have on this partition, which I don't have.

Thanks,
Jonathan