Re: web authoring tool

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 08:49, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Sunday 20 April 2003 11:21 pm, Stephan Sauerburger wrote:
> > Hi, I'm looking for a linux equivalent of Microsoft FrontPage, ie.
> > anything which edits html documents with a Word-like or
> > click-and-drag interface.
> >
> > So far in linux I've only been able to find some editors which are
> > html-friendly, but you still have to muddle with the low-level html
> > tags themselves. I don't mind doing so in general if I'm writing a
> > web page =66rom scratch, but I often find myself charged with the
> > task of modifying already-written web documents, which are typically
> > extremely long and overly-complicated, being the result of someone
> > else using a gui tool to write them. Locating the part that
> > corresponds to what I want to change, and looking up and down for all
> > the tags that may or may not affect it, becomes exponentially
> > arduous.
> >
> > Perhaps there's just a general latex editor that can also save as
> > html? I tried texmacs and it does fit the bill; however it has many
> > problems parsing some of the less common tags found in documents made
> > by other programs. In Windows, I found a work-around by using Outlook
> > to compose a message, with HTML on, and just save the message. Worked
> > fine. Don't know what StarOffice can do since the company is bent on
> > not allowing anybody to actually be able to use the product.
> >
> > What do y'all use?
>
> One of the gaping holes in open source is a good WYSIWYG HTML editor.
> (My experience is that more and more programmes write their HTML by
> hand and consider WYSIWYG HTML for "users.")  I've found two programs
> that work for web editing.  Open Office works, but is not the best --
> it has some problems, like not allowing tables within tables.  IBM has
> a demo verison of their Websphere HomePage Builder that is free, but
> pops up a requester every 15 minutes or so.  There are versions for
> Linux and that other well known OS.  (You can disable the requestor for
> $70.)
>
> If you find any other WYSIWYG HTML editor, I'd like to know about it.

My attempt to install HomePage Builder was a bit tragic:

polonius:/home/pwhysall# alien hpbuilder-4.0-1.i386.rpm
hpbuilder_4.0-2_i386.deb generated
polonius:/home/pwhysall# dpkg -i hpbuilder_4.0-2_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package hpbuilder.
(Reading database ... 51888 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking hpbuilder (from hpbuilder_4.0-2_i386.deb) ...
Setting up hpbuilder (4.0-2) ...
polonius:/home/pwhysall# exit
exit
pwhysall@polonius:~$ hpbuilder
hpbuilder: error while loading shared libraries:
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
pwhysall@polonius:~$ su
Password:
polonius:/home/pwhysall# dpkg --purge hpbuilder
(Reading database ... 54583 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing hpbuilder ...
polonius:/home/pwhysall#

That highly specific libstdc++ requirement seems to preclude the use of
this software on my machine (Debian unstable).

I just installed Bluefish 0.9. Despite a seriously none-HIG compliant
interface (the menus are all hither and yon) it seems to be a reasonably
capable program. Can't see a WYSIWYG mode - yet the interface seems to
silently imply the existence of same :-)

Another HTML editor that is definitely WYSIWYG is the oft-ignored
Mozilla Composer.

Regards

Peter.

--