Re: 'apt-cache search' question #2

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 11:29:26AM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On 20 Apr 2003 15:11:39 +0100
> Shri Shrikumar <shri@urbyte.com> wrote:
>
> > yes, but some of the packages that dpkg -l returns are not installed -
> > check the second column for ones that do not say ii
>
> Ahh, good point:
>
> rc  gnome-libs-dat 1.4.2-11       Data for GNOME libraries
> rc  libglade-gnome 0.17-2.7       Library to load .glade files at runtime
> (Gno
> rc  libmikmod2     3.1.10-5       A portable sound library
>
> When I try to "dpkg -P" those I get a message that they aren't installed so
> can't be removed.
>
> How can I get rid of these completely?

Ever notice the first three funky lines you get when you run "dpkg -l"?
(If you have, let's hope this helps someone else:)

 $ dpkg -l ssh exim jabber xv
 ii  ssh            3.4p1-1        Secure rlogin/rsh/rcp replacement (OpenSSH)
 pn  exim           <none>         (no description available)
 rc  jabber         1.4.2a-1.1     Daemon for the jabber.org Open Source Instan
 un  xv             <none>         (no description available)

The first column is "what status is desired?"  The second is "what is
the current status?"  For the packages listed, ssh is set to "install"
and is installed.  exim is set to "purge" and is not installed.
jabber is set to "remove" and is removed but config-files are still
present.  xv is "unknown" because it is no longer in the archive, and
is not installed.  xv is still in the database because another package
mentions it; for example "speak-freely" suggests xv.

So, your three problem packages seem to be removed but not purged.  I
don't know why "dpkg -P" isn't working; it worked here for jabber.

I have dpkg version 1.9.21 installed.

  For myself, I can only say that I am astonished and somewhat terrified at
  the results of this evening's experiments.  Astonished at the wonderful
  power you have developed, and terrified at the thought that so much hideous
  and bad music may be put on record forever.
          -- Sir Arthur Sullivan, message to Edison, 1888