Re: 'apt-cache search' question #2

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 18:08, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 12:39:07 -0400
> Travis Crump <pretzalz@techhouse.org> wrote:
>
> > Let me guess, you have 774 packages installed?   apt-cache search has
> > always additionally searched locally installed packages for me and I
> > always thought that this was a useful feature.  Though I don't know how
> > exactly it does this.
>
> That was my thought too.
>
> I commented out every source in sources.list and did update.
>
> I did apt-cache search and got 606 packages.
>
> When I did dpkg -l I got 619 packages.

yes, but some of the packages that dpkg -l returns are not installed -
check the second column for ones that do not say ii

Regards,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com