Re: Kernel compilation and modules and stuff

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:39:29AM -0600, Jeff Tickle wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I have just finally gotten around to trying Debian out.  Installation
> has been fun...  it's not until one tries out Debian that they
> understand how bad user-friendliness elsewhere has been.  But it's all
> finally installed, and I am trying to get it to work with my video
> card.
>
> I have an NVidia GeForce 4 Ti4400.  Here's my problem.  If I download
> ker
>
> sorry, I'm doing this with telnet to port 25.. I meant
> kernel-source-2.4.18.  Anyways, if I download my kernel source, and
> compile the nvidia drivers with that, it doesn't work with my current
> kernel, because that has an append-to-version on it.

Of course.  Don't bother trying to use the same module with more than
one kernel version, just rebuild them.  But why are you eve

> So, if I compile
> the kernel source and make my own kernel, I lose all the modules that
> came with -bf2.4, which is very bad.

Heh, that's how it works.

> So basically, if anyone here has had any better luck using a GeForce 4
> with Debian, please let me know how you did it!

Either use the 'vesa' driver, get the non-Free nvidia drivers (with the
nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src packages) or get X 4.2 from
http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/

> Otherwise, if anyone
> knows how I ca the source to all of the modules that came with -bf2.4,
> I'd appreciate that as well.

Why bother?  If you need a newer kernel, then 'apt-cache search
kernel-image' and install one that looks good.
kernel-image-2.4.18-<cputype> is what you want, basically.  It includes
all the modules that come with 2.4.18-bf2.4, plus a whole pile more.
Virtually all of them, in fact :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?