Kernel compilation and modules and stuff

Hello...

I have just finally gotten around to trying Debian out.  Installation has been fun...  it's not until one tries out Debian that they understand how bad user-friendliness elsewhere has been.  But it's all finally installed, and I am trying to get it to work with my video card.

I have an NVidia GeForce 4 Ti4400.  Here's my problem.  If I download ker

sorry, I'm doing this with telnet to port 25.. I meant kernel-source-2.4.18.  Anyways, if I download my kernel source, and compile the nvidia drivers with that, it doesn't work with my current kernel, because that has an append-to-version on it.  So, if I compile the kernel source and make my own kernel, I lose all the modules that came with -bf2.4, which is very bad.

So basically, if anyone here has had any better luck using a GeForce 4 with Debian, please let me know how you did it!  Otherwise, if anyone knows how I ca the source to all of the modules that came with -bf2.4, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks so much in advance!

-Jeff Tickle
jwtickle at jtsoft dot net