Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank@gevaerts.be>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:36:19 +0200

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:53:59AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> This is a very important but seldom realized point.  I invite anyone who
> claims that "Linux is hard to install" to attempt a ground-up install of
> any version of windows.

I usually plan 2 hours for a linux install and at least half a day for a
windows install (basic os with all hardware working correctly, no advanced
setup or applications)

Frank

How true. When I (foolishly) upgraded my laptop from WinMe to XP Pro, it took something like two or three days to get everything working correctly. Not only that, but I had to backup data, format my harddrive and do a clean install and I still had problems. The clean install thing was a real pain, but every single person/technician I talked to said that an upgrade from WinMe was the worse thing I could do.

A couple of weeks ago when I upgraded my system from stable to testing, all I did was update /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade. When I came back an hour later everything was all set, I only had to answer a couple of config question, and voila. It is unacceptable to be required to reformat a hard drive to upgrade to an OS from the SAME VENDOR. Linux would never survive any nonsense like that.

I still think that the Debian install was easier than the Windows install. As a matter of fact, I had so many problems with the unsigned driver thing in WinXP I nearly shot my computer. OTOH, the only problems I experienced with setting up Debian were when I had to configure windows only hardware (winmodem, winprinter, etc.).

-Roberto