Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

Am Fre, 2003-04-18 um 18.49 schrieb Roberto Sanchez:

[...]

[Windows update nightmare]

> A couple of weeks ago when I upgraded my system from stable to testing, all
> I did was update /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update, and apt-get
> dist-upgrade.  When I came back an hour later everything was all set, I only
> had to answer a couple of config question, and voila.  It is unacceptable to
> be required to reformat a hard drive to upgrade to an OS from the SAME
> VENDOR.  Linux would never survive any nonsense like that.

Debian does a damn good job when it come to package handling.
Other distributions are a completely different case.

SuSE (which is a great distribution for beginners IMHO) is always a PITA
to update. Even an update from 8.1 to 8.2 is no fun.
The advised way (not by SuSE, but by its users) to update a SuSE system
is to reformat the HD first *sigh*.

--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice