Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

Oh yes on my laptop windows xp was heavenly.  XP installed itself on my
laptop in less than hour with all peripherals working. First time my laptop
didn't reboot every hour
.
Now that my laptop has Linux after several days and three different kernels
my sound still doesn't work.
But on here all i've got so far has been "compile the kernel yourself".
Sorry, but it's got a long time before linux is ready for most people.
They will only be able to use linux if someone else installs it for them.
I remember the days when device drivers were a major pain under early forms
of windows and dos.  That's one of the reasons plug and play came into
being. And yes i was there when dos 1.0 came out, one of my early computers
came with both MSDOS and CP/M.

But if you have to recompile the kernel every time you need a new driver...
most people can't do that... and if they have to have someone else do it
then most will have to pay and they aren't going to do that if they can just
use windows instead.

Sure i can get linux up and running in a short time but then sound and best
video options take experimenting to get to work.  It will not be until linux
has a good plugnplay and you not have to recompile the kernel because you
changed video cards.  Until you get the hardware oems supporting linux with
proper drivers...  it won't be ready.  And it is many years past the time
when a driver should be able to be dynamically loaded to almost any version
of linux instead of being an object dedicated to a certain compile.

I also have not found a decent "Knowledge base" system for retrieving fixes.
Receiving "RTFM" is tantamount to saying "Read Thirty Full Manuals" and
don't bother us again.
You know now that i think about it Xenix may have been easier to set up ;-).
(and yes in about 1982 i was a senior in high school programming a medical
records package under xenix).

And i used FreeBSD for years on a p75.  Red-Hat wants more money then
microsoft if you want it to work (on their web page there aren't any obvious
links to even mail lists... only ways to pay them money).

--dale