Re: Debian updates & upgrades with dialup [was: wxWindows for GTK installation]

Just FYI (Tim) :

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 05:07:56PM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
| On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 19:33, Tim wrote:

| > Good enough!  How would you recommend I get around the initial updates
| > of several hundred MB?  I'm still with 3.0r0.
| The several hundred mb updates are because wxGTK2.4 is now compiled with
| g++-3.2 and depends on everything that was compiled with that as well.
| What you can do is download the source using
| apt-get source ...

This downloads a 10MB tarball.

| and then get the depends using
| apt-get build-dep ...

The bandwidth and disk this requires depends on what you already have

| then go into the directory and run
| fakeroot debian/rules binary (I think)

That's correct.  It will take a couple hours with a Duron 750 (and
lots of RAM) and needs about 280MB disk space.

I discovered that last night when I rebuilt the package with wxPython (instead of .3) so I could try out Boa Constructor.

Microsoft has argued that open source is bad for business, but you
have to ask, "Whose business? Theirs, or yours?"     --Tim O'Reilly