Re: Webmin password [followup]

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Rus Foster wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>  Following on from my previous thread I was sort of along the right path
> but now fot to this. I've created a new users called webmin and updated
> /etc/webmin/update.conf so it contacts "root webmin"
>
> I then did
>
> speeddev:/etc/webmin# passwd webmin
> speeddev:/etc/webmin# update-webmin add acl
> speeddev:/etc/webmin# /etc/init.d/webmin restart
> Restarting webmin: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 1190: No
> such process
> webmin.

webmin users are not the same as system users.  A webmin user called
'root' is made available for your convenience based on the system root
user and password but there is no reason it has to be called that.

> Accessing from a remote machine I get the password dialog but when put in
> username/password combination it just comes back
>
> Nothing.

Yep because 'webmin' is not a webmin user. :-)

> I know I'm being stupid but what do I need? I found out about the allow
> lin /etc/webmin/miniserve.conf but couldn't work out how to allow all ip's
> access (I'm on dynamic dialup)

You don't want to give all IPs access.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>